Hey there, globetrotter! 🌍✈️ If you found this page, you are a Nigerian in the UK who’s trying to renew their passport. Whether it’s on the verge of expiry, crammed with stamps from far-flung corners of the world, mysteriously vanished, you need a name update or you are ready to “japa”, there’s no need to fret, I’m here to get you set!
Table of contents 📚🤹♀️:
- How to renew a Nigerian passport in the UK (it’s a step-by-step rollercoaster!)
- What documents do you need? (it’s like an exciting scavenger hunt)
- How much does it cost? (spoiler: it’s like finding a bargain on a hidden gem)
- How long does it take? (think of it as a popcorn-worthy countdown)
- Useful resources (your exhilarating treasure map to success)
How to Renew a Nigerian Passport in the UK :
Ready to dive headfirst into your passport renewal escapade? Begin by visiting the Nigeria Immigration Service website and apply for renewal. Eventually, you’ll have to book a heart-pounding, in-person encounter at the Nigeria High Commission in the UK. Let’s break it down into a whirlwind of steps:
- Race to the Nigerian Immigration Service website and click ‘Apply’ on the Passport section (like unlocking a secret portal).
- Click on ‘ Applying from outside Nigeria’ and race to the ‘Apply for Passport Renewal’ section (it’s like following a trail of mysterious clues!).
- Strap on your detective hat, scrutinize the guidelines, and start your application. Round up all the required documents for your appointment (like assembling your adventure toolkit).
- Shell out for your application (ker-ching!) and print out the completed form.
- Dash back to the Nigeria High Commission website and book your in-person appointment (the final stretch!).
Keep in mind, every thrilling ride has unexpected twists and turns. Your process might deviate slightly, so always double-check the directions.
What Documents Do You Need?
Before your exhilarating in-person appointment, ensure your document backpack is bursting with:
- Original Nigerian passport (your trusty sidekick)
- Printed, completed, and signed passport application form (like a treasure map filled with surprises)
- National Identification Number (NIN) copy (your confidential code)
- Printed appointment confirmation from the Nigeria Immigration Service (an exclusive invite)
- £20 postal order payable to the Nigeria High Commission in London (the entry fee to this rollercoaster)
- Special delivery envelope for returning your passport (like a teleportation device straight from a sci-fi adventure)
For young explorers under 17, you’ll also need:
- Parent’s passport details from the child’s birth certificate (every explorer needs a mentor on this wild ride)
- Consent form with both parents’ flamboyant signatures
- Child’s birth certificate (proof of mini-adventurer status)
Make sure to scout for any hidden documents based on your unique case.
How Much Does it Cost?
Pricing is not as straight forward and varies depending on your requirement. The application process is moving to a new portal from the 7th of May, so there may no longer be a £20 administrative fee for a standard reissue, payable via postal order.
Similarly, there may be no need to visit the Nigeria High Commission with a Royal Mail C4 special delivery envelope for the secure return of your passport, as the new portal states that you will get a pick-up notification when the passport is ready,
If your old passport is lost, misplaced, or damaged, I don’t think a £250 charge payable via postal order is required, as this does not affect the price stated on the website. However, I can’t say for certain. There really is no need to punish someone who has already suffered a loss. It does not even make sense. Regardless, keep the possibility of paying extra in mind
Here’s a summary of the general passport fees:
- 64 pages, valid for 10 years: $230
- 64 pages, valid for 5 years: $150
- 32 pages, valid for 5 years: $130
The passport fees can vary based the applicant’s age (minor or adult), passport type (diplomatic, official, or standard), number of pages (32 or 64 pages), and validity duration (5 or 10 years).
For a comprehensive cost breakdown, visit the Nigerian Immigration website and explore the Quick Tools section. Keep in mind that the estimated fees provided by the website might be lower than the actual costs. For example, the online estimate was $110.88, but the actual amount charged was $130, plus a $12.00 Service Charge from the Innovate portal , totalling $142, about 28% more than the estimate.
Please note that all the fees mentioned above include an additional $12.00 Service Charge.
More instructions after paying the $142 (My goodness…)
Kindly bring the following requirements on your date of appointment:
- A copy of National Identification Number (NIN) slip. Please note your NIN MUST be validated before passport processing.
- Completed passport online application form, payment slip and acknowledgment slip.
- Most recent physical Nigerian passport.
- A prepaid special delivery envelope.
- £20 postal order payable to the Nigeria High Commission.
- Original and photocopy of full birth certificate showing the names of both parents.
- Photocopy of a non-Nigerian passport if dual nationality.
- Photocopy of Nigerian passport of at least one of the parents.
- Applicants under 18 years must present consent letter signed by both parents. In the absence of consent from either of the parents, a court order (not solicitor’s letter) must be presented.
- In the case of marriage, please present signed consent letter from your husband, original and photocopy of marriage certificate.
- Photocopy of husband’s passport
- In the case of divorce, decree absolute or final divorce order from the court and please show evidence of maiden name.
After payment you return to the immigration portal to book an appointment.
Center Address: London:Nigeria High Commission, No 9 Northumberland Avenue London WC2N 5BX
How Long Does it Take?
The suspenseful wait for your Nigerian passport renewal in the UK typically lasts about three weeks (like waiting for the climax of a thrilling novel). For first-time applicants, the anticipation intensifies with a six-week wait. To avoid any passport plot twists, double-check your details before submitting. Remember, personal pickups at the Nigeria High Commission office in London aren’t part of the script, so ensure your mailing info is accurate.
Feeling the pressure? If your passport has expired and you need to travel ASAP, apply for an Emergency Certificate to accelerate the process. To avoid any last-minute panic attacks, it’s always wise to apply for a Nigerian passport renewal in the UK at least six months before it expires.
Useful Resources 🗺️🔍 (your exhilarating treasure map to success):
- Nigeria High Commission – Your trusty compass for passport renewal info and booking appointments in the UK.
- Nigerian Immigration Service – Your treasure trove for Nigerian passport renewal applications in the UK.
And remember, this thrilling guide is meant to be a wildly entertaining overview, but it’s not a substitute for proper legal or financial advice. When in doubt, always consult an expert. Now, fasten your seatbelt, renew your passport, and let the adventures begin! 🚀🌍
Have you renewed your Nigerian passport recently? Did I leave anything out?
Liked this post? Do share it on your social media wall, timeline or feed
Want blog updates and promotions in your inbox
Sign Up Now