Food Photography: Rice and Stew

Beautiful hot spicy Nigerian pepper called Atarodo isolated on black background. Red Chilli pepper on Black background

Between my 5-9, school and photography I haven’t had time to post as often as I would like. I’m far behind on my Deadpool 2 Review and a Beauty Haul I had in mind since April. On the bright side, learning to program in Python has been very rewarding, and my photography skills have grown tremendously.

I decided to attempt dark food photography after being inspired by a Pinterest blog. My first attempt was a disaster because I couldn’t get my camera settings right, the black cardboard came out looking blue and I didn’t know as many Adobe Light room tricks as I do now.

Rice, Sliced tomato and sliced onion, Scottish bonnet peppers in green and red plastic bowl for Nigerian stew concept isolated on black background

Below are a few images I shot today

Rice, Sliced tomato and sliced onion, Scottish bonnet peppers isolated on black background

My YouTube photographers say great images are supposed to tell a story, so I decided on this very Nigerian story; “Rice and stew”, since I went to the market and had fresh groceries at home. (P:S Tomatoes cost a fortune right now!)

I do realize that these images could do with some “protein” in the composition but I didn’t have any fish or picture-worthy crayfish to bring it together. You’ll make do with eggs.

Beautiful fresh red tomato and scotch bonnet peppers isolated on black background. Red Atarodo or Ose ototo isolated on black background

I’m looking to make this food photography a series, where I pick a Nigerian recipe and do a dark background shoot with the ingredients. I just love how the colours in our local food pops on camera. The hours just fly right by!

Three Colorful spices in spoons.Side view. colorful spices in spoon on chopping board isolated on black background with copy space

I only shoot in RAW now because it makes editing in Lightroom very easy. I invested in two box lights last month so I no longer depend on natural light for my shoot. I can come home from work in the evening and dive straight into shooting. Amazing!

Finally, my application to sell on Getty images was successful so you’ll probably see more of my images there soon. I’m selling on Dreamstime as well, so I hope to up my earnings on Shutterstock 3 fold.

Please let me know what you think about these images. I’m excited, and of course if you have any questions about the tools and settings I use, please leave them in the comments section below.

Thank you for reading!
***
Liked this post? Do share it on your social media wall, timeline or feed.
Want blog updates and promotions in your inbox?

20 Comments Add yours

1. The Ugonna says:

Food photography is probably the hardest thing ever. So shout out to you for this amazing turn out.

Please visit inmeforyou.wordpress.com for short stories,meme threads, inspiration and overall amazing content.

Love xx.

1. Red says:

I’m so glad you like them Ugo and I’m working hard to get better.
      Thank you for reading and commenting.
      Hugs.

2. https://polldaddy.com/js/rating/rating.jsYour photos are inspiring. Well done and congrats!

1. Red says:

Thank you do much! How have you been?

Liked by 1 person

1. You’re welcome, I’ve been good you know; living and learning 😊. U?

1. Red says:

LOL! I know! I’m fine. thank you love.

3. Vanessa says:

The pictures are beautiful. I love how the colours pop on the dark background. Amazing job!

Liked by 2 people

1. Red says:

I know right?
      The contrast in colour brings it all to life! Thank you so much!

4. Tamie says:

This is beautiful. I enjoy photography and hope to get better. I don’t have a professional can or have editing skills though. Would like to learn more.

Liked by 2 people

1. Red says:

Thanks alot Taime.
      I’ve got a post on some really great Youtube Photographers who give tips on not just pro-photography but also how to make great images with your smart phone. You should check them out.
      I hope you find some of them helpful.
      Hugs

5. Ellen Hawley says:

The dark backgrounds really work. Nice photos.

1. Red says:

Thank you so much Ellen!

Liked by 1 person

6. These are beautiful. Really beautiful. Didn’t know you sell photos. I’ve been trying to register with shutterstock for a while now but I keep procrastinating on it. What’s your name on shutterstock so I can check you up.
    Great work dear.

1. Red says:

I’m glad you like them!
      You can register to sell here and check out my portfolio here!

7. Sim says:

Nice pictures👌.
    I didn’t even know they sell black card board.
    You are living the dream now 🙌
    I hope to sell pictures online too but my photography is not there yet and my tools.
    So I am horning my skills now with countless flatlays.
    Well done!

Liked by 2 people

1. Red says:

Oh, you should sign up and start a portfolio. Your images don’t have to be perfect to sell. I look at my pictures from about a year ago and I cringe. But they are selling. Just upload them and see how it goes from there! As always, thank you for reading and commenting! Hugs

1. Sim says:

Wow! Okay.
        Please kindly send a link or point me in the direction to do that😊
        Thankyou very much.

1. Red says:

Oh, the pleasure is mine!
          Click here and let’s make your dream come true!

1. Sim says:

I really appreciate this.

Say something...

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Google photo

You are commenting using your Google account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s